No matter what device you’re using to surf the web, an antivirus is a must-have for staying secure. Our online activity is growing, and so is the need for protection. The following list of the best antivirus products will help you find the best offer on the market for any device.
1. TotalAV Internet Security – The Best Antivirus in 2020
Experts are calling TotalAV one of the most efficient and cost-effective antivirus software in the market today. Total AV Antivirus Pro provides advanced protection against malware, ransomware, and other threats. With a near-perfect detection/elimination rate, it’s a good pick (read more in our Total AV review). Real-time protection, regular updates, and excellent customer support are some of its most significant pros. Here is a list of its standout features:Anti-malware engine for protection against all forms of virus infections
- Real-time monitoring of user’s files/folders and apps
- Spyware removal tools
- Adware cleaner for protection against aggressive advertising
- Anti-ransomware protection against illegal data encryption
- Remote firewall for blocking and unblocking connections
- Browser security for blocking phishing sites
- Compatible with desktop, laptop, and mobile devices
As mentioned, 24/7 support is a good reason to pick TotalAV over the competition. If you’re looking for a robust antivirus for Windows, Total antivirus is the program to go for. It works equally well on desktop computers and mobile devices. Thanks to its leading virus detection capability, your apps, files, and drives will be well-protected.
- Parental Control mechanism
- Identity protection (Firewall, ID, and Financial) – for US users only
- Desktop and mobile compatibility
- Compatible with Windows, Apple Mac, and Android systems
Some Negative Issues:
- Total AV’s performance against malware attacks is less than 100%
Who Needs to Choose TotalAV?
Total AV ranks high on the list of antivirus software for Windows and Mac. It’s a competitive product both in terms of price and effectiveness. Although it lacks some of the essential features found in other advanced programs, it’s still a reliable antivirus against modern-day threats. This program is ideal for people who want a robust product for a low price (it also has a Free version).
2. McAfee Internet Security – The Most Advanced Antivirus & One of the Best Firewalls
If you are looking for the best antivirus for PC, McAfee can be a great choice (review). It offers decent value, a reasonable price, and all the necessary protection for your computer. This antivirus provides built-in PC optimization tools, email spam blocking, and parental controls. You’ll also get protection from hackers, a reliable firewall, and social media link protection.
This Antivirus was created in 1987 and based in Santa Clara, California. McAfee offers different Antivirus Packages such as McAfee Antivirus Plus, McAfee Total Protection, McAfee Internet Security. They are often pre-built in the operating system by such companies like Acer, Dell, and Lenovo.
- Offers full-featured protection and 100% guaranteed virus removal
- Pricing is fair and there is a 30-day money back guarantee
- Easy to use, install process is quick and simple
Some Negative Issues:
- The price is slightly higher than the market average
- Uses more system resources than other antivirus packages
Who Needs to Choose McAfee?
Pricing depends on how many devices you want to protect. For example, the basic plan covers only one single connection. McAfee Total Protection is available for Mac, Windows, and Android. Sadly, iOS is not currently supported. The good news is – there is a 24/7 customer support.
3. Norton Security 360 Deluxe – Protection For Up To 10 Devices
Norton has an affordable price-tag and a decent set of entry-level features for protection. Yet, it is rather basic and lacks some advanced features that most rivals have to offer. It is suitable for beginners, as it is very easy to use, and the installation process is as simple as ABC. There are also some excellent family safety bonus features, so Norton is a perfect match for those who want to set up parental controls.
- One of the best virus protection software on the market
- Firewall, identity, and financial protection
- Very good for parental protection
Some Negative Issues:
- Average detection rates and protection compared to other top rated antivirus software
Who Needs to Choose Norton?
Norton has an affordable price and a full set of extra features for complete protection. The antivirus comparison shows that Norton is quite basic and lacks some advanced features. It is suitable for beginners, as it is very easy to use and its installing is as simple as ABC. There are also some great family safety bonus features, so Norton is a perfect match for those who want to set up parental control.
4. PC Matic – One of the Best Antivirus Solutions
The most important thing to understand about PC Matic is that it’s not a regular antivirus (more in our review). Instead, it offers a big list of optimization tools. The built-in antivirus engine is just one of the available elements. Think of it as an “all-in-one” kind of a suite that can improve performance when used the right way. PC Matic implements the so-called “whitelisting” approach to dealing with online threats.
Sadly, it consistently blocks legit files and apps due to a high rate of false positives. But, thanks to the cloud-based approach, PCMatic has almost no impact on system performance. Plus, it is available not only for Windows but also for Android.
- Whitelisting technology performs flawlessly against malware
- Low-priced (compared to similar products)
- Some of the optimization tools are quite useful
- The company offers a lifetime subscription plan
Some Negatives Issues:
- PC Matic Constantly Blocks “Innocent” Programs
- Almost No Third-Party Test Results Are Available
- Manual Tests Are Very Hard To Schedule
Who Needs to Choose PC Matic?
Inexperienced users might be a bit intimidated by this product’s complicated interface. However, once you learn your way around it, PC Matic might just become your favorite antivirus/optimization tool. As mentioned, even the most outdated machines will be able to run it, which is excellent news for the owners of older Smartphones and computers. Sadly, customer support is a bit slow, and it might take you a while to get an answer.
5. Avast Free Antivirus – The Best Free Antivirus
This virus removal software is one of the best offers on the market. In 2016, Avast has expanded its database and introduced the AVG antivirus that we mentioned earlier. Avast Antivirus is one of the best anti-malware software of our time. It offers a highly capable and feature-rich free version. Continuous support and regular updates allow it to stay relevant and reliable.
- One of the best malware removal software
- The best internet security features
- Home network scanner available
- Game mode included
- Customer support included
- Average price
- Offers an excellent free edition
Some negative issues:
- No parental controls
- Slow scanning process
- You need to install the Chrome browser for extensions
Who Needs to Choose Avast?
It’s a good pick for personal and business use. As mentioned, Avast Free is a leading free antivirus. But, if you want to set up parental controls, you’ll have to choose a different Windows antivirus.
6. Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2020 – The Best Antivirus for Gaming
As a virus removal software, Bitdefender is one of the apparent leaders. It includes all the necessary features for excellent performance and all-around protection. This product offers a broad range of stand-out features that most rivals lack. Bitdefender used to be a Windows-exclusive antivirus. These days, it’s also available for iOS and Android as (more in our Bitdefender review).
- One of the best detection-elimination rates
- Excellent performance – doesn’t slow down your computer
- Comes packed with many advanced features
- A free version is available
Some negative issues:
- Works only on Windows
- Full scans are not that fast
Who Needs to Choose Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2020?
We have another excellent antivirus software for both home and business use. For home users, it’s a sure pick, mainly thanks to the free edition. Business owners, in turn, will appreciate the impressive list of extra features and services.
7. AVG Antivirus – The Most Used Antivirus Software, Friendly, Intuitive
AVG is a good option for those who want to get essential antivirus software. It efficiently blocks malware attacks, detects prevalent malware, and more. You can get it for Windows OS, Mac, and Android. As for the price, it’s quite reasonable and close to the market’s average.
When compared to other antivirus software for Windows, AVG lacks some advanced features. Plus, the upper tiers are a bit too expensive for comfort.
- Works on Windows, Mac, and has a separate Android antivirus app
- Offers a one-month free trial if you choose the annual plan
- Features a user-friendly interface
- Easy to use, the installation process is simple and straightforward
Some negative issues:
- Not available on iOS
- Very basic
Who Needs to Choose AVG Antivirus?
This antivirus can be a good solution both for personal use and business protection. But, since AVG only offers a limited set of advanced features, this Windows antivirus is not the best choice if you’re looking for ultimate protection.
8. Trend Micro Maximum Security – Easy to Use, Industry-Leading Anti-Malware Protection
Trend Micro is one of the best malware removal software on the market (check Trend Micro review). It has been around since 1988, perfecting the original concept. Trend Micro offers an intuitive trendy interface design and an excellent antivirus security package. The company founded in California, but the headquarters are in Japan. Trend Micro offers PC optimization tools for up to 3 PCs and 5 GB for online backup. Overall, there are three different packages to choose from. The list includes Antivirus+, Trend Micro Internet Security, and Trend Micro Maximum Security.
- Best virus protection features
- Great interface design
- Easy installation, friendly interface
- Offers a competitive price and a 30-day MBG
- Available for iOS and Android
Some negative issues:
- Uses more system resources than other top-rated antivirus software
- File detection rates are below the market average
Who Needs to Choose Trend Micro?
With the new interface, Trend Micro is a “trendy” and intuitive antivirus. But, since it lacks some advanced features, Trend Micro is more suitable as an entry-level program. In case you need antivirus for work, you’d better choose something stronger.
9. ESET Smart Security Premium – Arguably, the Best Antivirus for Networks
In many ways, ESET is the best antivirus for PC on the market. ESET offers a full range of protection features with a high level of performance. It comes packed with advanced business solutions like server security and remote management, to name a few (read more in our ESET antivirus review). It also includes parental controls. ESET is available for Windows, Mac, and Android.
- Decent malware, ransomware, and spyware protection
- Cloud-powered scanning
- Multilingual customer support
- Operates at full power thanks to a light system impact
- 30-day free trial
Some negative issues:
- Price can be higher than average
Who Needs to Choose ESET?
Business owners will like what ESET has to offer. Impressive performance, along with multilingual customer support, makes it a reasonable pick. It also provides some advanced features.
10. Kaspersky Total Security – One of the Best Antiviruses for Windows, Incredibly Secure
This is arguably the most well-known antivirus software. With an industry-leading detection/elimination rate, the Kaspersky Lab antivirus can deal with all types of outside threats. Yet, it did fail a couple of times in our false-positives test. Kaspersky demonstrated a few false positives during the lab tests.
The entry-level plan doesn’t offer many extra features compared to the competitors. However, you can always upgrade to more advanced versions like Kaspersky Internet and Total Security. It is one of the best virus protection software for Windows on the market. Read more about it in our Kaspersky antivirus review.
- Complete virus protection, including parental control and online banking protection
- Very easy to use and installing is simple
- Very reliable
- There is a 30-day free trial
- Best antivirus for Windows 10
Some negative issues:
- Lacks advanced features
- Installation can take up to 20 minutes
Who Needs to Choose Kaspersky?
People looking for a reliable antivirus will find Kaspersky to be a good pick. There is a free trial, which makes Kaspersky Total Security a great for those who want a free month to test it. So, if you need a reliable Windows antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security is an excellent choice. But, if you’re looking for the best mobile antivirus software, go with a different product.
Antivirus Prices Comparison
Why Do We Need Antivirus Software?
Before we move on to our list of the best antivirus solutions, let us once again talk about the various threats online users might encounter. That will help us to understand better the importance of using an antivirus.
These days, it’s tough to avoid threats while using the Internet. Even if you don’t click on suspicious ads and never visit unsecured websites, that still doesn’t mean you’re 100% safe. A computer virus may come not only from streaming movies or downloading files that contain malware.
There are different ways for viruses to damage your desktop computer or mobile device. You can download a virus by checking your email and clicking a banner or a pop-up window. Sometimes, even clicking that “Read More” button while reading an article can be enough to get infected. Any of these careless actions may damage or, in worst cases, destroy a computer/gadget. Those are just a few examples, and modern-day hackers know dozens of infiltration techniques.
The good news is – it’s possible to “heal” an infected device with the right antivirus software. The market is full of different offers from industry-leading companies. Pick an antivirus that suits your needs and budgets best.
If you have compared several security suits but still have no clue which one is right for you, do the following.
- Try them for free. Most antivirus providers offer a one-month free trial. It should be more than enough to get an idea of whether the product suits you or not.
- Don’t waste your money paying for tools and features you don’t need. If you only need an entry-level antivirus with decent protection, choose the cheaper one.
- Don’t go for preinstalled products. Your OS might come with a free one-month trial of a certain antivirus. Once the trial is over, you will get a message asking to upgrade the product. Don’t rush and check out some alternatives. Chances are, you will end up finding a better solution.
- Check whether the antivirus is also capable of taking care of malware. The best security suites are capable of both detecting threats and healing infected devices.
- Remember: iOS doesn’t need antivirus protection. Some iOS apps claim they can protect your device from viruses. But the fact is – the OS does it all on its own. On the other hand, some security suites come with useful features. Only pay for one if you do need some extra features/services.
What Is the Best Antivirus Software and How It Works?
Here’s how antivirus software works: it detects and blocks any outside threats (malware, malicious URLs) or warns the user of something suspicious. For example, when you try to download a virus or visit an unsafe website, the antivirus will be quick to advise you against doing that.
Antivirus software usually monitors your online presence 24 hours a day. It uses a malware signature database and reports all possible threats, indexes them, and adds to its database.
Whenever a threat is detected, you have three options. The first one is to delete the threat; the second option is to quarantine it. And the third option is to ignore the dangerous file(s). Removing the virus is not always possible, so the best option can be to quarantine it. Even though it’s not deleted, the virus is isolated and can’t damage your devices.
When choosing antivirus software pay attention to the following:
- How well does it perform in detecting various types of threats
- Does it affect the computer’s performance
- Does it has a simple or a complicated interface
These are not the only things you should consider. We recommend picking security suites which include useful extras. For example, parental controls, an enhanced firewall, password manager, A VPN, and more. It will never hurt to have an extra layer of security. Also, it is better to pick an antivirus that covers more than one device (most subscriptions protect up to five devices).
What features best antivirus software offers?
There are a few key features that you should look out for when choosing antivirus software. That will vary depending on your needs. The following list includes some of the best (and most common) features that modern-day antivirus suits include:
- A built-in firewall: It will provide extra protection when you browse the Internet.
- Email spam blocking: Offers protection from spam, spyware, or phishing.
- Parental controls: Allows the user to control kids from stalkers and to set a limit on app usage.
- Webcam protection: Blocks any attempts to get access to your webcam.
- Gaming mode: Make sure your online gaming activity is secure, and you don’t get annoying pop-ups while playing.
- Secure browser: Checks every single website you visit and alarms you on potential threats.
- Password manager: Allows safe storage of your passwords.
- Safe storage (cloud-based): Backs up your files and keeps them safe.
- Cleanup/tune-up tools: As the name suggests, these tools optimize overall OS performance by getting rid of junk on the hard drive.
- File shredder: Completely removes unwanted files from the system – they can’t be recovered after the shredder is through.
- VPN: Turns the user into a digital shadow by hiding his/her IP. A VPN is a perfect solution for using public Wi-Fi- networks, downloading torrents and streaming.
How We Tested
Here at BestAntivirusPro.com, we’ve been reviewing antivirus and internet security products for decades. We are an independent testing lab. In every single review, we focus on the most critical aspects. Those include malware, ransomware, and phishing protection, to name a few. Our team of experts is also testing Pricing, customer support, available features, and user-friendliness.
For our independent lab tests, we use malware samples, malicious URLs, and ransomware-generating programs. We monitor system impact, speed of detection, and, of course, detection rates. Third-company tests allow us to compare results and to create a complete picture of an antivirus/security suite.
You’ll find in-depth, detailed, thorough reviews with a list of highlights and pros-cons. Hopefully, that will help you decide which product suits you best. Use the comparison table to quickly put several products next to each other and compare them based on your preferences.
Here is a list of the most important factors that we always take into consideration:
- Reliability and security
- Real-time protection
- Offline protection
- Package features
- Ease of use
- Product value
- Supported platforms
- Free trials and money-back guarantees
- Performance and system impact
We created the list of the best antivirus products based on pricing, detection level, security, support, and more. By comparing the pros, cons, extra features, and other factors, you can see the difference between these products.
Our antivirus reviews will help you to choose the best software depending on your current needs. Business owners would be wise to choose an antivirus with advanced features like server protection and email spam filters, to name a few. Learn more about this topic in our guide, “Best antivirus for business.” As for our list of the ten best products, they will be a pick both for home users and business people.
Here are some of our top choices: