There are situations when antivirus software would not recognize and allow installing certain types of programs or applications. Or antivirus tends to block your favorite websites sometimes. So, the solution is to either delete the antivirus completely and become vulnerable for different kinds of threats or disable the software for a short time.
If you are using one of the Avast products, you may opt to turn off the whole Avast antivirus or stop certain shields. Our step-by-step guide will help you to go through each process quickly.
How to Turn Off Avast Completely (Disabling All Shields)?
If you decide to completely turn off Avast be aware that you will turn off the whole antivirus protection on your machine. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Step 1. Go to the Windows taskbar and search for the orange Avast icon. Then, right-click on it and find “Avast shields control.” Choose one of the options – disable for 10 minutes OR 1 hour OR until computer restart OR permanently.
- Step 2. Confirm your choice by taping YES when Avast asks you. Done! Avast antivirus and all the shields should be paused for the period you have chosen.
- Step 3. To check whether the antivirus is really disabled, just open its main window. If it is red and says “All antivirus shields are off” then everything worked as it should. To have the function back, click on the button “Resolve” and wait for a second to see the message “You’re protected.”
How to Disable Specific Avast Shields?
Sometimes turning off some of the Avast shields should be enough to be able to download the required app or unblock a particular website. Here is what you have to do to use this option.
- Step 1. From the Avast user interface, go to “Protection” and then “Core Shields”. Or in the bottom left corner of the Avast interface find “Settings” and then go to “Components” (can be “Active Protection” if you are using an older version). You will see the list of all Avast shields. Find the ones you want to turn off and click on the switcher. You will have four options – pause the shield for 10 minutes OR 1 hour OR until computer restart OR permanently. Make your choice.
- Step 2. In case the shield was successfully turned off, you will see the switch change to “OFF” and the message “File Shield is now off”. To have it back, tap the button “Turn on” and wait for a second till it turns green and you see the message “You’re protected”.
No matter if you need to disable Avast antivirus as a whole or just a few of its shields, you can do that easily. And it doesn’t matter which product you use – Avast Antivirus Pro, Avast Ultimate, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier. You may even delete the software completely (which is not recommended though).
However, make sure you get your protection back once you resolve the issue.