In the last few years, Avast, the developer of the same-name antivirus for PCs and mobile devices, has been selling data of its users to third parties. Even the largest IT companies, including Microsoft and Google, buy such information.
Many tech magazines, which conducted their investigations, accused Avast of selling users’ data. Even the users themselves noticed that they could not disable surveillance of their activity in the Avast apps. Therefore, we do not recommend using Avast products; it is better to focus on other, safer brands: PCMatic, McAfee, TotalAV, Norton, or Bullguard.
Regardless of what you choose, act at your own risk.
There are situations when antivirus software will not recognize and allow installing certain types of programs or applications. Or antivirus tends to block your favorite websites sometimes. So, the solution is to either delete the antivirus completely and become vulnerable to different kinds of threats or disable the software for a short time.
If you are using one of the Avast products, you may opt to turn off the whole Avast antivirus or stop certain shields. Our step-by-step guide will help you to go through each process quickly.
How to Turn Off Avast Completely (Disabling All Shields)?
If you decide to completely turn off Avast be aware that you will turn off the whole antivirus protection on your machine. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Step 1. Go to the Windows taskbar and search for the orange Avast icon. Then, right-click on it and find “Avast shields control.” Choose one of the options – disable for 10 minutes OR 1 hour OR until computer restart OR permanently.
- Step 2. Confirm your choice by tapping YES when Avast asks you. Done! Avast antivirus and all the shields should be paused for the period you have chosen.
- Step 3. To check whether the antivirus is really disabled, just open its main window. If it is red and says “All antivirus shields are off” then everything worked as it should. To return the function, click on the button “Resolve” and wait for a second to see the message “You’re protected.”
How to Disable Specific Avast Shields?
Sometimes turning off some of Avast shields should be enough to be able to download the required app or unblock a particular website. Here is what you have to do to use this option.
- Step 1. From the Avast user interface, go to “Protection” and then “Core Shields”. Or in the bottom left corner of the Avast interface find “Settings” and then go to “Components” (can be “Active Protection” if you are using an older version). You will see the list of all Avast shields. Find the ones you want to turn off and click on the switcher. You will have four options – pause the shield for 10 minutes OR 1 hour OR until computer restart OR permanently. Make your choice.
- Step 2. If the shield was successfully turned off, you will see the switch change to “OFF” and the message “File Shield is now off”. To get it back, tap the button “Turn on” and wait for a second until it turns green and you see the message “You’re protected”.
No matter if you need to disable Avast antivirus as a whole or just a few of its shields, you can do it easily. And it doesn’t matter which product you use – Avast Antivirus Pro, Avast Ultimate, Avast Internet Security, or Avast Premier. You may even delete the software completely (which is not recommended though).
However, make sure you get your protection back once you resolve the issue.
Read Our Guides About Avast Software
- Best Avast Alternatives: what can you choose?
- How to remove or disable Avast Email Signatures?
- Avast Password: Is it enough for your security?
- Avast CleanUp: Total Professional Review.
- Avast Secure Browser: You Should Know.
- Avast Antivirus – Total Reviews.
Best Antivirus Software in 2020: Choose Your Fighter
PCMatic – Arguably, the Best Basic Home Protection
- Competitive optimization solution.
- Lots of options, highly configurable.
- Whitelist-based protection algorithms.
- Very low system impact.
The truth is, PC Matic includes an antivirus engine and several extra protective tools/features. Yet, this solution is more of an optimization service, which will improve your OS performance. At the same time, it provides an effective anti-malware module.
Besides, PC Matic is a rather “modest” antivirus solution that doesn’t require many system resources to operate. It has an intuitive and highly configurable interface. The main menu is a little cumbersome, though, but you’ll get used to that in the blink of an eye.
TotalAV – Your Essential Security Need
- Effective anti-spyware and anti-malware modules;
- User-friendly and intuitive interface;
- Minimal system impact;
- Reasonable price tag.
TotalAV is an effective solution that deals with modern threats, has a user-friendly interface, and is easy to install. At the same time, TotalAV is more affordable in comparison with rival antivirus software, and has a lower system impact.
It includes powerful modules against ransomware, spyware, and phishing. Also, Total AV includes a Safe Site extension that prevents malicious URLs from stealing your data. There’s also a built-in optimization tool that boosts overall OS performance and gets rid of unnecessary files on the hard drive. What is more important, it is available for PC and mobile platforms.
Norton – Your Primary Antivirus SafeGuard
- Perfect malware protection.
- Wide list of additional tools.
- Unlimited VPN service.
- Identity theft protection (LifeLock).
- Protection for up to 10 devices.
Being an all-in-one package, Norton is a worthy product. It is marked with industry-leading anti-malware and anti-ransomware protection. Along with it, Norton includes cloud backup, password manager, unlimited VPN, and parental control.
Besides, this solution is at your service for identity theft protection. In essence, the LifeLock feature will secure your data in the network and provide you with compensation in case some criminals steal your sensitive information.