Is Bullguard Any Good?
Customer support is great. The prices are competitive. Customization is easy, and BullGuard will help you keep the device organized and clean. Sadly, malware protection is average, and all packages lack some necessary features that you’ll find in other antiviruses. And while most of the BullGuard Internet Security reviews give it the praise it deserves, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be looking for some alternatives.
For example, Bitdefender costs approximately the same but is a better guardian, doesn’t put too much load on the device, and comes with a bigger set of features. Don’t even get me started on the top-3 anti-viruses, because then BullGuard will fail – miserably.
The List of Pros and Cons
Ok, let us proceed with our Bullguard review and take a look at the pros and cons. There are many outstanding antiviruses out there that proved their worth over the years. Will this one manage to do the same?
- With this antivirus, you get full-featured protection.
- BullGuard is very intuitive, user-friendly, and easy to use.
- Reliability is average and can’t compete with the level of protection that the industry-leaders provide.
- Value for money is average.
- With the BullGuard antivirus, you get a standard 30-day MBG (Money-Back Guarantee).
|Money back Guarantee||30 days|
|Manual Virus Scanning|
|USB Virus Scan|
|Registry Startup Scan|
|Auto Virus Scanning|
|Ease of use||4/5|
So many antiviruses, so little time – that’s probably what you’re thinking if you’re new to this. Well, you’re in luck, because today we’ll introduce to you one of the most intriguing offers on the market. Hands down, it’s one of the best options when it comes to ease of use, even though the company is not nearly as famous as the industry leaders. The BullGuard antivirus packages come with quite attractive price-tags and hold their own, despite the obvious downsides.
We’ll talk about the packages in more details later, of course. The built-in backup system works alright. You are free to create a series of profiles with a couple of clicks. Hosted online backup isn’t available. But, you’re free to use Google Drive or DropBox for backing up your precious data.
The tune-up system in this antivirus is better than in most of the opponents on the market (only available on BullGuard Internet Security and higher). It runs quietly in the background and can be activated by the user manually. Just tap on the “Optimize” button with the mouse and let it do its thing. BullGuard tells you how much hard-drive space you can free up by getting rid of the temp files and browser caches, fixes any possible broken shortcuts, and deletes broken Registry entries, among other things. It’s a very useful tool indeed.
Alright, it is time to move to the next step of this BullGuard review and go through every single aspect to see what it’s really capable of and whether you should purchase any of the packages or not.
- Inexperienced users that don’t want to “get nerdy.” It’s super easy to download, install and use this antivirus.
- People that need protection for multiple devices on a regular basis.
- Fans of 24/7 support. By the way, it’s available in several languages, which is great news for those that don’t speak English.
Reliability And Security
AV-Comparatives, one of the most respected independent companies that specialize in testing antiviruses put BullGuard through a series of tough tests. All three packages showed amazing results in traditional virus detection during their BullGuard reviews. At the same time, in real-time scanning, they reached only above-average ratings.
Malware protection, in turn, leaves much to be desired. It earned 8.2 points in various tests. Is that really bad? Yes, it is: the standard Windows Defender from Microsoft earned 8.3 points, and it’s totally free! As for URL blocking, BullGuard protected the device only from 89% of the threats. Parental Control, as mentioned above, is outdated (and, it’s not available with the basic package; learn more about it in the BullGuard Internet Security review). It hasn’t been properly updated at least for half-a-decade. Yet, if you don’t have kids around, that shouldn’t even bother you.
Now, I have to also stress out that the BullGuard antivirus consumes a lot of system resources, putting unnecessary pressure on your computer. System performance is…uneven, and this is one of the biggest downsides of this product. Most BullGuard reviews claim that older machines will be almost paralyzed with this antivirus on, and they’ve got a point. Now, if you’re looking for the best package, take a good look at BullGuard Internet Security.
Ease of Use
McAfee, along with Kaspersky, is considered to be the most user-friendly antivirus. Well, you can add BullGuard to that list.
The dashboard is very informative and allows you to check the current state of things right there and then. If you want to run some scans, they are just a couple of clicks away (you’ve got the quick, the full, and the vulnerability scans). I’m sure most of the BullGuard reviews will confirm that the installation process is incredibly fast and easy. After downloading any of the packages, you’ll have to wait only for a couple of minutes for the antivirus to be installed. And, it doesn’t take up a lot of space on the hard-drive.
On the downside, BullGuard needs significantly more resources to run smoothly than the industry leaders. Yes, this is one of the least-efficient antivirus products today, and the “hunger” for computing power is its biggest flaw.
Package Features – What Does BullGuard Have To Offer?
Overall, there are 3 packages to choose from. Which one is the best pick for you? Let’s find out:
- BullGuard AntiVirus. This is the most basic package. For $23.96 you get full protection for one single device (for 12 months, of course). You’ll get anti-ransomware, the vulnerability scanner, and Game Booster. If you’re not looking for additional features, the standard package is a great pick.
- BullGuard Internet Security. Along with everything that the previous package comes from, IS includes firewall protection, email/spam blocking, parental control (not the best one in the world; very limited), PC TuneUp, and protection for three devices. The current price is $29.97 for year-long protection. This antivirus used to feature 5GB of online storage, but they decided to take that away in 2018. Alright, that’s it for our BullGuard Internet Security review. Let’s check out the next offer.
- BullGuard Premium Protection. It doesn’t get bigger than this package. It costs $39.98 and offers additional features like Identity Protection and Financial Protection, along with the password manager. Again, not so long ago, you could rely on online storage for backing up your files (25GB of storage for 3 devices).
- BullGuard Mobile Security. Good news: there’s a free version available, and it does a great job of protecting your Android device from outside threats. It’s just as user-friendly as the “big” packages and doesn’t put too much pressure on the battery. Antitheft, SIM Protection, and MSM (Mobile Security Manager) turn this antivirus into a must-have. MSM lets you control the device even if it’s miles away. Don’t believe the angry BullGuard reviews – the free package is quite alright! For $19.95, you’ll get access to premium features. Those include remote management, device tracking (in case you lost it or someone stole it) parental control, and more.
Note that BullGuard offers hefty discounts for new users. All the numbers indicated above are discounted prices that will let you save 20% to 50%.
BullGuard Support And Customer Service
This might sound strange, but BullGuard doesn’t have tech support over the phone. And while we are living in times when chatting online is the most popular way of communication, that’s still kind of odd.
Live chat is great, though, and it’s available 24/7 for the customers that speak English, Spanish, and Chinese. If you come from France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, or the Netherlands, live support will only be provided during the 9:00 AM-5:00 PM period. Sending an email is also an option, and they usually give you an answer within a day.
I’m happy to report that the accounts on Facebook and Twitter are much more active and will answer your questions faster. The community forum is always full of people; the blog is constantly being updated with fresh articles. There’s a big FAQ section on the official website and numerous manuals that will help you out with easy, straightforward guides.